L’École des Arts Joailliers, the Paris-based School of Jewellery Arts associated with luxury jewellery brand Van Cleef and Arpels, is opening a pop-up campus in Dubai.
Registration is now open for classes and workshops at Hai d3, in the Dubai Design District, from 7 to 25 November 2017.
L’École will offer 14 adult classes around three broad themes: Savoir-Faire, Art History of Jewels, and The Universe of Gemstones (see below). These classes provide an introduction with some hands-on experience “to all those who want to learn and become an enlightened amateur”, and they are of course oriented towards Van Cleef & Arpels’ take on the subject; but they are delivered by professionals and have a decent reputation.
There are also workshops for children aged 5 to 16.
There’s no fee as such, but students registered for the adult classes are asked to contribute a minimum of AED 400 – all of which will be donated to Dubai Cares. (The kids’ workshops are free of charge.)
Class sizes are limited, so prior registration is essential – email [email protected] for details. There’s supposed to be a website at me.lecolevancleefarpels.com but that wasn’t live when we checked; the main site here has some information about the courses.
Art History of Jewellery
- History and jewels
- Wearing jewellery: Rules and Revolutions
- Art nouveau and jewellery
- Travel into the world of Van Cleef & Arpels
The Universe of Gemstones
- Introduction to gemology
- Fascinating diamond: history and legends
- The diamond, a gemological exception
- Recognise gemstones
- From design to mock up
- From the wax project to the setting techniques
- From the French jewels to Japanese lacquer
- Trying your hands at Japanese Urushi lacquer
- Trying out the jeweller’s techniques
- Dive into the heart of a mechanical watch